Friday, August 17, 2012

Back to the Bike

     After working out for 45 minutes yesterday, my Friday plan was to sleep in (Adam has every other Friday off and takes our son, Aiden, to school for me) and vegetate all day.  Well, that didn't happen.
     First thing, Adam bought me a beautiful hybrid bicycle and I rarely ride it.  I know, I know. So sad.  But, when he has a day off and Aiden is at school, he tries to get me out on the bike trail.  When he asked me last night, I said, "Let me see how my body feels in the morning."  Knowing the whole time it was coming out of my mouth that I planned on sleeping until noon.  Ha!  No such luck.  Guilt started seeping into my thoughts as I lay in bed this morning unable to sleep past 8am.  After I ate breakfast, I decided to buck up and get back on my bike,:)
     The ride itself started out so smooth.  I was surprised (Hey! I surprised my self again!) at how easy I made it to our goal destination, the hatchery, about 5mi away.  But, damned if I didn't hit the proverbial wall as soon as we turned around (after taking a picture).  That wall consisted of an elevated heart rate, dizziness, and nausea.  Each time I would have to climb even the smallest hill, my wall got bigger.  "Push through!" right?  Right, that's what I always tell myself too.  But, it was daunting how weak my legs became with each turn of the pedals.  So, I didn't stop...not for stop signs and not for the boldest animals of the trail, the squirrels.
     Continuing home, I realized that Adam was riding super slow for his regular pace.  But, I was huffing far behind...speaking of behinds, I love the view Ada!  ,:)   So, I would catch up to him and he would take off, I would catch up and you guessed it, he would speed up...my thoughts on the situation at the time were, "If you turn around and see me right behind you, it doesn't mean speed up, it means that I just caught up to you!" 
     As we made it home, slowly, I wondered what was next for a goal for me on the bike.  I'll have to think about it more...I think I'm still in shock mentally and physically.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment