Saturday, October 1, 2011

Rode my bike today

     My hubby and I took an hour-long bike ride to a local bridge.  It was my cycling goal to ride there when we bought the bikes.  We took an extended route on the way to add some distance to the ride.  And, by the time we made it to the bridge, I was in good shape; no heavy breathing.  After the bridge is another story.  There was a hill leading away from the bridge to downtown.  I pushed and pushed so hard that my body began to shake as I pedaled.  My breathing increased so much that I was hyperventilating.  But, I didn't stop until the first stop light where I could grab some water and my breath.  As my breathing slowed, I could feel my chest expanding more and then I could breath normally.  So, you would think that was the tough part of the ride.  No.  The first stop light was at the bottom of an enormous hill.  And, we had to go up it if we wanted to take the short way home.  And, I wanted to take the shortest path possible.  Home was only a few miles away and I wanted to lay down.  So, we set the bikes in the lowest gear possible.  Now, I understand the theory of the lowest gear, but it just didn't work for me.  Hubby said it was like walking, but I felt like I was stepping in mud and pulling each foot out of said mud only to repeat the motion again and again and again.  Nope.  I walked up the hill, while breathing like an old horse in the field pulling a plow.  Yeah, my bike was the plow.  Finally, at the top of the hill, I magically felt balanced and back in charge of my breaths.  Home was close and we finished strong at the end of six and half miles.  I felt victorious.  I felt relieved.  I had achieved my cycling goal.  As, I laid on my bed with the fan on high pointing directly at myself, I began to contemplate my next goal.  Nice.

1 comment:

  1. Remember: Rome wasn't built in a day. "One brick at a time". and so on Three baby steps = one giant step. You are doing a wonderful thing for your body. Rejuvenating yourself while you are young. It is a good thing. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete